The Seattle City Council has approved landmark designation ordinances for five new City of Seattle landmarks, including the Ronald House in Leschi.
The Judge James T. Ronald House (421 30th Ave. S.) was built in 1889 as a single-family residence, with additions completed by 1904. The architect is unknown, but it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, according to the landmark-nomination form.
Ronald was a former King County deputy district attorney, Seattle mayor, Seattle School Board member and University of Washington regent.
The home is currently privately owned as a single-family residence. The homeowners nominated the house for landmark designation.
The city’s Landmarks Preservation Board approved the nomination, designation and controls and incentives, and provided draft ordinances to City Council for approval.
The Seattle Department of Neighborhoods Historic Preservation Program is responsible for the designation and protection of more than 400 historic structures, sites, objects and vessels, as well as seven historic districts throughout the city.
For more information on the landmark designation process and to view other city landmarks, visit www.seattle.gov/neighborhoods/preservation.